Archimedia is a New Zealand architecture practice with NZRAB and green star accredited staff, offering design services in the disciplines of architecture, interiors and ecology. Delivering Architecture involves intervention in both natural eco-systems and the built environment – the context within which human beings live their lives.
Archimedia uses the word “ecology” to extend the concept of sustainability to urban design and master planning and integrates this holistic strategy into every project.
Archimedia prioritises client project requirements, budget, functionality, operational efficiency, feasibility, and programme. Once these fundamentals are soundly established, Archimedia pursues a sculptural architecture expressive of individual or collective identity.
Hierarchy of Design Strategies
- Archimedia practice architecture as “material identity” – a crafted expression of individual or collective “identity” – embodying a synthesis of people, place and time.
- Archimedia investigates “identity” with each Client and endows buildings with a perceptible meaning that expresses this “identity” – the philosophical parti for all Archimedia projects.
- Archimedia are ambitious for the betterment of both humankind and the environment.
- Archimedia approach design with the intent that human beings register an “experience” of architecture which uplifts their daily existence.
- Archimedia respect all cultures, their protocols and the connectedness of all humanity.
- Archimedia strive for “beauty”, the exceptional and the inspirational in each and every commission, irrespective of budget.
- Archimedia believe in positive intervention – sustainability that enhances eco-systems.
- Archimedia believe in tectonics – a poetic configuration of land, space and structure.
- Archimedia believe in relationships, collaboration between equals and the power of teamwork.
- Archimedia staff are consultative by nature and use processes that encourage user decision making wherever possible
- Archimedia believe that the very best process and the very best technology are critical components in our quest for the exceptional.
- Archimedia will invest whatever resources are required to find the best design solution.
- Archimedia design process is research-based to bring together in a coherent way, strands of stories, history, culture, topography, typologies and tectonics to create a “narrative” that has evolved authentically from this research– a narrative which could only belong to the specific context of the commission.
- From this narrative of text and images, a wellspring of ideas is formed that directs design decisions made on a journey of creativity and refinement, pursuing a beautiful, functional, inhabited sculpture.
NZIA Auckland Award
WAF World Building of the Year
NZIA New Zealand Award
NZIA New Zealand Award
Eye Institute Finalist Interiors Awards
Ports of Auckland
Te Waka Moana-Nui-a-Kiwa
University of Auckland Business School
1976 BArch, University of Auckland
1979 NZ RAB Registered Architect
2018 NZ GBC GreenStar Accredited Professional
1998 Archimedia Group – Principal
1994 DEM Group Executive
1989 DEM (NZ) – Director
1988 Devine Erby Mazlin (NZ) Ltd
1985 Stephenson & Turner (NZ)
1980 Murray Cockburn Partnership
Specialised Skills – Masterplanning, Concept Design, Feasibility Studies, Design Management
Specialised Sectors – Healthcare, Hospitality, Commercial, Mixed Use, Residential
Principal (Archimedia Waikato Architect)
1994 BArch (Hons), University of Auckland
1983 BSc, University of Waikato
1998 Archimedia Ltd. – Hamilton Principal
1996 Archimedia Ltd. – Associate Director
1993 Archimedia Ltd.
Specialised Skills – Concept Design, Developed Design, Contract Documentation, Construction Phase Services
Specialised Sectors – Healthcare, Aged Care / Retirement, Passive Design, Interior Design
PGDip in Professional Practice & Management in Architecture (Merit), Bartlett School of Architecture
2017 Archimedia Group – Practice Director
2007 Rolfe Judd Architecture
2005 Bernard Engle
2002 Kay & Keys Architects
Specialised Skills – Residential & Housing Design, Commercial Design, BIM Modelling and Coordination, Construction Detailing, Sustainable Design
Specialised Sectors – Medium/High Density Housing, Social Housing, Mixed-Use, Commercial
1994 BSc, University of Auckland
1998 BArch, Unitec, Auckland
2007 NZ RAB Registered Architect
2019 Archimedia Group
2016 Cheshire Architects
2014 Jemmott Associates (AUS)
2010 BVN Studio (AUS)
2008 Architectus (AUS)
2005 Peddle Thorp
2002 Chetwoods (UK)
1999 Archidiom (AUS)
Specialised Skills – Developed Design, Documentation and Construction Stages
Specialised Sectors – Institutional, Commercial, Residential